Gaipa Exercise

Before I worked on my Gaipa assignment, I learned different literary terms and techniques that helped me.

I learned the importance of the rhetorical triangle

Then we went over eight different methods to present new information.

• Picking a Fight
  • Ass Kissing
  • Piggyback/Expanding
  • Leapfrogging/Gloss over problematic theory then over solution
  • Peacemaker
  • Taking on Establishment
  • Dropping out/Presenting a completely new argument
  • Cross Pollinating

Then I was ready to create a fake Twitter post demonstrating the skills I’ve learned.

The question Michael Terra asked is a question Mr Gibbons had asked us in class one day. For the responses I used the first three GAIPA strategies. @Angryboi36 utilized the “Picking a Fight” method. It is not unusual for people using twitter to respond in a immature and blunt way, therefore @Angryboi36 responded to Michael Terra using excessive caps and course language. Although the author of this tweet responded unprofessionally he did effectively demand authority in his argument by shutting down Michael Terra’s argument and even providing an alternative method. Hannah T utilized “Ass Kissing” by not only agreeing with Michael, but also defending him. This not only makes her argument more credible but also shuts down a potential counterclaim. Hannah uses more professional language than Angryboi36 as she is aware that she needs to target a more disciplined audience to promote productive discussion. Finally Twitter United utilizes “piggybacking” to not only make themselves more credible but also create a engaging transition into promoting their own cause. This organization’s use of professional is necessary as using universally-understood language is necessary for reaching multiple audiences and drawing them in to join their organization. Essentially these three replies acknowledges their audience and used language in which they deemed appropriate to address the viewers of the comments. Although the language may differ they definitely realize that Twitter is a platform meant for mainly argumentation. These debaters’ style of writing used whatever rhetoric they felt using as the audience is so incredibly diverse. These styles can differ through maturity, the platform they use, or simply the type of audience they wish to attract.